28 May 2011

Master of the Useful Art

Published in the Baroda Times supplement of the Times of India on 3rd November 1998
In his late sixties, Suryakant Patel’s exposure to architecture began as a child. Being the son of an architect, Suryakant Patel took to Architecture as a profession and after starting his initial training at the J. J. School of Architecture, he left for the Leicester School of Architecture in the U.K. After returning to India, Suryakant taught at the Department of Architecture, MSU as a reader. Simultaneously he set up his practice under the name of Sthapatya Kendra. After quitting from MSU, Suryakant Patel decided to establish a School of Architecture wher principles of construction would be taught as an integral part of the design process that an architect goes through. This process would still encourage fearless experimentation and creative inquiry into the real life issues that surround an architect.


Known for a wide ranging variety of projects, Suryakant Patel’s ideas about architecture of the present day are quoted from an interview.

On his attitudes and practice

In my early days of practice, I left jobs because of certain standards I had decided to maintain in my practice. Architectural practice is like our Hindi films. If your first role is of a comedian then you are typecast for life. The first job will establish your image, which will remain with you for your life. You should have the clarity and dedication towards your work. One of the contractors told me, “I hate you architects because you know little and try to dictate terms. Practical aspects are not foremost in your mind. But I cannot help but respect you because your insistence is infectious and you manage to get things done your way. To say the least most of you are honest people”.

Today the scenario is quite different. I feel that the image of Architects is at its nadir. Unbelievably low fees and improper services rendered by some architects could be the reason. The professionalism is missing.

In the late fifties, I began my practice in Baroda. Along with it, I also taught at the Department of Architecture at the MSU. Then my mode of transport was a humble cycle. Progress in my career was slow but steady and as time passed I learnt many things. I believe a slower but steadier rise in a career is better than sharp rises and falls. My education from England fostered this confidence in me. Being in England, knowing the people, their attitudes, made me appreciate my Indianness more. My education taught me one thing - probably to be more Indian than most Indians.

On clients

In my long practice I have found that clients are ready to pay fees which are reasonable. While dealing with the client, his requirements should become the basis for a design. I respect my clients’ aspirations. I believe Creativity does not always lie in the creation of something exotic, new and strange. Man has taken ages to change the pattern of his daily life. Then why should his form and shelter be so completely and arbitrarily changed by an architect?

I have found that people do understand if you talk to them nicely and convincingly. Let me give you an example. If somebody is playing music you cannot dictate the way he should play a piece because you like it that way. An architect is also equally creative and this has to be explained to the client.

On Architecture

Architecture falls in the realm of art where it can be identified as a useful art. It has the element of function that the user defines. The architects and the client's expression should be interwoven.

Materials

In my opinion, anything you want to design must follow relevant constructional technology. The level of construction technology available from place to place in India differs greatly. If you are designing in a village and expect the exposed concrete of the metros, you may be disappointed.

I have always relied on locally available material. I do not mind using deformed bricks in my designs. In a farmhouse, for instance, they add to the character and act as a part of the landscape.

On designer sensibilities

What I believe is that a sensitive designer can design almost anything. He has the sensitivity and creativity in him to design, evolve and create new things provided he knows the technology involved. Technology and the scale are the only variables that differ, but the sensitivity remains a constant. Sensitivity in any person can come with the awareness and indulgence of all the five senses. I mean that a human being is highly developed and creative when all five senses are highly developed. I would call such a person an artist in the true sense of the word.

On Sketching

Sketching for me is an intense pleasure, which brings me complete understanding of spatial relationships and their organizations. Our country abounds in its wealth of vast and beautiful complexes, and each time I sketch, it makes me richer in my understanding of the fabric of our architecture.



1 comment:

  1. nice appoorva....people or alumanai....knows little about this lion...reveling...vc patel

    ReplyDelete