16 June 2011

Quotes from an Interview with Suryakant Patel

While I was teaching History of Modern Architecture to students between 1995 - 1998 at the APIED, then just known as IED, Suryakant Patel became aware of some of the articles written by me in the Indian Architect & Builder and we got talking on numerous issues. I had the good sense to document all of these at that time. The possibility of a book was also mentioned and we had several discussions along those lines..
Below are some of the quotes I had documented in numerous discussions with Suryakant Patel between 1996 and 1998
On his early jobs and works.
In my early days of practice I had to leave jobs because of certain standards that I had decided to maintain in my practice. I feel it is very much akin to our Hindi films. If your first role is of a comedian then you are typecast for life. The first job will  establish your image. You should have the clarity and dedication towards your work.
While studying in Bombay, I saw that architects could induce respect from everybody. One of the contractors told me, "I hate you architects because you know little and try to dictate terms. Practical aspects are not foremost in your mind. All the same  I respect you because your insistence is infectious and you manage to get things done your way. To say the least most of you are honest people."
Today the scenario is quite different. I feel that the image of Architects is at its nadir. One of the reasons could be the unbelievably low fees that some architects charge and cannot render proper services. The professionalism is missing.
I feel at an early stage in one's career it is better to execute smaller jobs efficiently. One lacks the requisite experience to give adequate justice to a large project. These smaller projects, when published will demonstrate your abilities and people will learn about the work you are doing. This way clients will know your ideas and the kind of work to expect before they come to you. You have to achieve a particular level and maturity before you start getting larger projects.
I have never gone out of the way to solicit clients and canvass for work. It is possible that by canvassing, I will get more work but then I will not be able to maintain the quality of resolution that I expect from my architecture.
In the late fifties, I began my practice in Baroda. Along with it I also taught at the Department of Architecture at the MSU. Then  my mode of transport was a humble cycle. Progress in my career was slow but steady and as time went  I learnt many things. I believe a slower but steadier rise in a career is better than ups and downs. My education from England fostered this confidence in me. Being in England, knowing the people  and their attitudes, working and living with them made me appreciate my Indianness more. Education does something and it did something to me - probably to be more Indian than most Indians

On clients
In my long practice I have found that clients are ready to pay  fees which are reasonable. Any discrepancies in the fees between you and other architects have to be explained because this breeds mistrust in the client. If some architect quotes a lesser amount,  it becomes the standard. This  way everybody loses out to unhealthy competition. The architect works more for less, and the client is not able to judge the discrepancy in the varying amounts. 
While dealing with the client, his requirements should become the basis for a design. His way of life, his behaviour etc. also become important clues and offer valuable insight into the type of a person he is. Above all, he is not totally ignorant and as architects we should try to explain and involve him in the project. This will prevent problems at the later stages and he will not say, "I did not tell you this." or "Oh, this is something different, I never expected this." It will also ensure his trust in you as an architect. If he comes back to you with another job then you are doing good work for your client. I respect my clients' aspirations. I believe Creativity does not always lie in the creation of something exotic, new and strange. Man has taken ages to change the pattern of his daily life. Then why should his form and shelter be so completely and arbitrarily changed by an architect
If clients insist on something that is not in your architectural vocabulary then you may have to leave the work. It is not necessary to take all the work that comes your way. Being selective about clients and the type of work you want to do certainly goes a long way in establishing your image as an architect.
I have found that people do understand if you talk to them nicely and convincingly. Let me give you an example. If somebody is playing music you cannot dictate the way he should play a piece because you like it that way. An architect is also equally creative and this also has to be explained to the client.

On Architecture
Architecture falls in the realm of art where it can be identified as a "useful" art. It has the element of function that the user defines. The architect's and the client's expression  should be interwoven.

Managing construction.
In India we have followed the British system. The concept of Master builder that made the Architect a completely in charge of construction, management and Design is extinct. Now the construction, purchase of materials etc. are done by different parties having little knowledge of each other's work.

Detailing
Detailing should always depend on the material you use, the climate and the purpose you want this detail to serve. In European climates, you want to keep out the cold and damp, and want more sunlight inside. So the windows will have double grooves, and minor detailing so water and cold drafts will not penetrate. The wood used is soft and treated which does not expand. So finer detailing is possible.
Because of this rich experience, they have produced books that we use in our schools and to teach students to follow these details. This process has its disadvantages because in India. Here, good seasoned wood is not available easily. You have to use secondary woods often which may expand. Then you have to check the detailing, the size of wood. In India, breezes in living spaces are more than welcome so the detailing would change. The windows instead of coming in the forefront, will be set back, and you don't have to worry about the weather. These are the problems that we  face even today, because we  blindly follow  details given to us by the West. I have always designed and developed my own details.

Materials
In my opinion, absolutely anything you want to construct and design must follow the relevant constructional technology to the material. The level of construction technology available from place to place in India differs greatly. If you are designing in a village and expect the exposed concrete of the metros, you may be disappointed.
I have always relied on locally available material. I do not mind using deformed bricks in my designs. In a farmhouse, for instance, they add to the character and act as a part of the landscape.

On designer sensibilities
What  I  believe is that a sensitive designer can  design  almost anything. He has the sensitivity and creativity in him to design,  evolve  and  create  new things provided  he  knows  the technology involved.
I  believe that the technology and the scale are the only  variables  that differ, but the sensitivity remains a constant.  Sensitivity in any person can come with the awareness and indulgence of all the five senses. I mean that a human being is highly developed and creative when all five senses are highly developed. I would  call such  a person an artist in the true sense of the word.

On Sketching
Sketching for me is an intense pleasure which brings me complete understanding of spatial relationships and their organizations. Our country abounds in its wealth of vast and beautiful complexes, and each time I sketch, it makes me richer in my understanding of the fabric of our architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment